I am constantly asked to find a solution for managers and administrative assistants to work together more efficiently. During the initial assessment process, I usually ascertain that a communication process has not been successfully established. In order for any relationship to work, communication is essential. Yet for some reason, managers and their assistants never get off on the right foot. Here are some tips to establish a better relationship between individuals who work together.
- Establish and write down expectations on both sides.
- Get to know each other, your values, needs and behaviour patterns.
- Realize that you both deserve to be taken care of.
- Determine training needs and follow up regularly so skill sets are up to date.
- Communicate on a daily or twice daily basis so everyone is in the loop.
- Do not micro manage. Let the assistant do the job for which they are trained.
- Always support the other position, even if you are in disgreement. Discuss the issues in private.
- Constantly support, reward and encourage each other.
- Take time to laugh
Even if you have been together for a long time, it is never too late to change your attitudes and relationships. Start over with the steps above and you will be surprised at how much more productive and happy you will be.
What’s you story? What kind of relationship do you have with your boss as an administrator or vice versa? What have you done to create a more amicable and positive atmosphere? I would certainly welcome comments from those in the trenches.